There are numerous reasons to learn to cultivate mushrooms and other fungi, as this site attempts to demonstrate. However, some of the most apparent reasons include:
- Mushrooms are a relatively cheap, year-round source of delicious, healthy whole food and potent natural medicine that can be grown on various urban and agricultural waste products.
- Mushroom cultivation provides many applications for developing local jobs & revenue as well as community food security.
- Ability to grow local mushrooms along with species not commercially available.
- Versatile uses in the garden on the land for soil building, nutrient availability, and water retention.
- Ability to remediate soil and water and rehabilitate damaged environments.
- It’s sciencey & fun!